Book Review: X's for Eyes

I'm going to make this review brief as I have recently come down with a terrible cold and desperately need a good night's sleep. X's For Eyes by Laird Barron is a wonderful little book, brief but packed to the brim with action and adventure. The two main characters, wealthy young brothers Dred and Mac Tooms,  are essentially morally corrupt and vaguely sociopathic versions of the Hardy Boys, here solving "The Mystery of the Eldritch God." Since this book really does have it all (science fiction, cosmic horror, old fashioned skullduggery, etc.), my only complaint is that I want more. I'd love to read more adventures of the two brothers, or about any of the members of their extended family for that matter (I found their Errol Flynn-like Uncle Nestor and Egyptian mother, Theoris, particularly intriguing). I highly recommend this book for any fans of Laird Barron, and it's also a good jumping off point for those unfamiliar with his work who are looking to see what he can do.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: The Valancourt Book of Victorian Christmas Ghost Stories

Book Review: Shirley Jackson's Dark Tales

Home for the Holidays