Friday the 13th Part IV: The Final Chapter

Y'all. This is my favorite Friday the 13th movie. I have seen it sooo many times, and I watched it again last night. You don't really need a review; if you know anything about the Friday the 13th series, then you know the drill. Horny teens hang out near Crystal Lake, party, get killed. Instead of a review, I'm going to give you a list of why I love this movie so much.

1. Crispin Glover

He's here. And he's blonde. And he's totally adorkable. Also, he does this dance:

And the girls love it! I love it to. I would totally be smitten. I am totally smitten. Mr. Glover, I love you.


2. Corey Feldman
I love Corey Feldman. I've actually have a moderately gigantic love for both the Coreys (we miss you Corey Haim!) since I was a kid. Friday the 13th IV is an early starring role for the Feldmeister (Is that too much? I can reign in my cheesy if I need to. I just get so excited when it comes to the Coreys!).

He plays the first incarnation of the the character whom the next two films would also focus on:


3. Tommy Jarvis
I love Tommy Jarvis, particularly Version 1.0, played by Corey Feldman. (He would be portrayed by John Shepherd in V and Thom Matthews of Return of the Living Dead fame in VI). Tommy is a pretty divisive character for fans; you either love him or you hate him. And I happen to love him! He's the only character to successfully kill Jason. Unfortunately he is also ultimately responsible for bringing Jason back to life in Part VI.


4. The Doublemint Twins
Camilla and Carey Moore, mostly famous for their television commercial for Doublemint gum (double your pleasure, double your fun...), play Terri and Tina, identical twins with the somewhat confusing habit of always wearing matching outfits.

5. The characters in general
Friday the 13th IV has probably the most well developed, realistic characters out of any film in the series. You really believe these characters are human beings, as opposed to just machete fodder. Therefore their deaths have an emotional impact not normally felt in slasher movies.


6. Tom Savini
Tom Savini came back for the fourth installment, after passing on parts 2 & 3. Anytime Tom Savini's in the effect's chair, you know you're in for a treat, and he doesn't disappoint here. The man is a genius, and watching his work is like watching the tricks of a master magician.







7. Peter Barton. Because obvious reasons. This man is beautiful. This man is what I picture Dorian Gray would look like. I refuse to believe he was born to a mortal woman. I'm pretty sure he just stepped out of a painting one day or is actually a marble statue come to life. Bonus: His character, Doug, has a really sweet story arc with Barbara Howard's Sara. Their storyline is a high point of the movie. Their deaths are particularly sad, coming on the heels of so much happy.






Super Bonus:
If you have the DVD with the optional commentary by Adam Green and Joe Lynch, definitely watch it. Their commentary is intelligent and also uproariously funny. I love these guys, because they're clearly super big horror fans, with a lot of passion for the genre. (For more proof of their horror-centric awesomeness, check out their TV show, Holliston). Their commentary track is a real treat and a must for fans of the series.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: How to Recognize a Demon Has Become Your Friend

Book Review: The Valancourt Book of Victorian Christmas Ghost Stories

Book Review: Shirley Jackson's Dark Tales