Mini-Reviews

Okay, I haven't been writing much lately, but I'm back and hopefully in it for the long run, so I thought I'd start afresh with briefly reviewing a few films I've watched recently.


The Witch in the Window
One of the spookiest movies I've seen in years, this wonderful haunted house movie is marred only by what to me seemed an overly sentimental ending. That being said, my boyfriend was not perturbed by the ending in the least, so maybe that complaint only pertains to me and my occasionally black and bitter heart. Otherwise, I thought The Witch in the Window was the best horror movie I'd seen in quite some time. I don't want to give away the plot here, as a lot of the fun lies in figuring out exactly what is going on.

I will tell you though, if you watch this, keep a sharp eye out. In the earlier parts of the film, the titular crone pops up when you least expect it in silhouettes and reflections that are easy to miss. And when she does show her face, she is completely terrifying. Well after the film was over, I could easily imagine her popping up at the end of my bed or around a corner in the dark while I tried to sleep. It's rare that a horror movie scares me, but this one left me creeped out for a long time after the credits rolled.

Totally original and unrelentingly spooky, this movie has slipped in under most fans' radars, but it really shouldn't be missed. See it and spread the word: The Witch in the Window is a must-watch.




Saint (Sint)
A dark "Christmas" (it actually takes place on the night of December 5, the eve of St. Nicholas day) horror film from the Netherlands, Saint was actually a lot less gruesome and disturbing than I had been led to believe. There's plenty of blood alright, and I understand how a killer Saint Nicholas (a.k.a. old school Santa) could be disturbing for some. However, other than the mostly off screen children's deaths early on in the film, the most disturbing aspects of the film (child imperilment) are only hinted at. It's left - at least in the version of the film I saw (this is a foreign film and it is possible the original Dutch version is a bit clearer) ambiguous as to ultimately becomes of various children who go missing over the course of the movie. Again, this could be a case of something being lost in translation, with the severity of the situation more clear in the original Dutch.

Those minor quibbles aside, this is a fun, atmospheric film. My boyfriend and I watched it on December 5, and it really was the perfect kick-off to our annual season of Christmas horror viewing. It's also a good deal classier than a lot of the sleazier, Silent Night Deadly Night era killer Santa films out there. The setting and cinematography are beautiful, but it doesn't take itself too seriously, and there are a few good jump scares to balance out the film's more sinister undercurrents.




Eloise
Admittedly, the main draw here (for me at least) was my forever crush Eliza Dushku (Buffy, Wrong Turn), but since abandoned asylum flicks also really do it for me, this was a can't-miss. Eloise is a real former psychiatric hospital located in Michigan, which you can read about here.

I've got to say, Dushku's presence aside, I went into this film with fairly low expectations, so I was pleasantly surprised when it turned out to be fairly intriguing, if occasionally silly and lacking in any sort of common sense or basis in reality. The cast acquit themselves nicely. Dushku is by far the best, but I was also excited to see my favorite Booty Sweat spokesman, Brandon T. Jackson (Tropic Thunder) in a supporting role. Robert Patrick also shows up as a sinister asylum doctor. And Patrick is one underrated horror star. He always brings his A-game, and his presences elevates even the most lackluster productions.

Ultimately, I enjoyed Eloise a lot, but it wasn't a great film. I definitely recommend it for Dushku and Patrick fans, but be prepared to suspend A LOT of disbelief. If you can do that, you'll have a pretty good time. If not, well, I've been to donut shops with less holes than this plot, so be forewarned.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: How to Recognize a Demon Has Become Your Friend

Book Review: The Valancourt Book of Victorian Christmas Ghost Stories

Book Review: Shirley Jackson's Dark Tales