Mini-Reviews 2

Blood Theater
The oldest movie reviewed here today is 1984's Blood Theatre, which involves a former theatre where a mass murder occurred being revamped years later into a cheap-o cinema. Quite frankly, I really should have reviewed this film right after I watched it, because just a few days on, I've already forgotten most of it. I could honestly tell you very little about the main plot at this point; I'm even kinda vague on how it ended. I do clearly remember one sub plot of the film though, as it involved Mary Woronov (Terrorvision), genre goddess and Andy Warhol Factory member. She plays the assistant to the owner of the movie theater chain that the titular "Blood Theater" is being added to. She's also the only competent actor in the entire movie. Her scenes are a delight to watch, and she provides the film with its few intentionally hilarious moments. If you like low-budget trash from the 80's (like-me), go ahead and check this one out in full. Otherwise, maybe just fast forward through all the parts not featuring Woronov.




Terrified
Wow. Just wow. This movie is up there with The Witch in the Window as one of the creepiest films to come along in years. It's got a neat premise - expanding the haunted house idea to an entire neighborhood - and it really hits the ground running, with the first creepy death occurring less than 10 minutes in. The characters are well acted and endearing; you really find yourself caring about their fates. The ghosts are creepy and threatening, and the scares are plenty. Hollywood is supposed to be remaking this, but catch the original first. This is horror done right. So right. I don't want to say anymore, because this is a ride you want to go into without too much information. I honestly wish I hadn't already watched it, just so I could watch it again for the first time. It's really that good.




Terrifier
Not to be confused with Terrified, this gorefest features Art, the most sadistic killer clown since Pennywise. Terrifier is based on a character from the mostly above-average anthology, All Hallow's Eve (2013) (both films are helmed by Damien Leone). The plot is pretty basic. Two girls (including the truly stunning Jenna Kanell) headed home late one Halloween night run afoul of deranged clown Art, and mayhem (along with a mounting body count and plenty of gore) ensues. If you can't handle gore, I recommend skipping this one, as there is more than a little blood and some pretty brutal murders. While it's not really scary, Terrifier is incredibly intense, and I was surprised by how much I ended up enjoying it. I'll definitely be down for a sequel.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: How to Recognize a Demon Has Become Your Friend

Book Review: The Valancourt Book of Victorian Christmas Ghost Stories

Home for the Holidays