The Witch Files

This week I watched two arguably feminist horror films, The Witch Files, now streaming on Netflix, and Revenge (available on Shudder), an award winning French entry into the rape revenge subgenre. While both movies couldn't be further apart both tonally and in subject matter, they were both female focused horror films that refused to cater to the male gaze. So, for that, mad props to both of them. I'll review Revenge later, but right now, I'm here to discuss The Witch Files.

I checked this one out solely because I saw it featured Paget Brewster (I have a major crush) of Criminal Minds fame. Other than that casting choice, I honestly wasn't expecting too much from the film. I knew next to nothing about The Witch Files going in, other than that it was aimed squarely at a teen audience. However, I ended up pleasantly surprised.

The movie plays out like a PG-13 version of The Craft, one of my favorites. Witch Files revolves around 5 teen girls who form a coven and start casting spells which allow them to get everything they want. Unfortunately, their new gifts come with a price.

Brewster is sadly underused in the role of a police detective investigating the coven, but she manages to steal every scene she's in. The five teen actresses are also outstanding, particularly Britt Flatmo as head witch with a secret, Jules.

Ultimately, while serious horror fans might find the tone of the film too light and breezy, fans of Buffy and Charmed will probably find much to enjoy here.










Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: How to Recognize a Demon Has Become Your Friend

Book Review: The Valancourt Book of Victorian Christmas Ghost Stories

Book Review: Shirley Jackson's Dark Tales