Winter Horror

Now that it's finally getting colder outside (I love Autumn and Winter and absolutely loathe Summer - I'm aware that's kinda weird), it's the perfect time to check out some snowy, wintery horror movies.
Need some ideas? I've got a few:
(Note: I am excluding specifically Christmas themed horror movies as I'll probably do a post specifically on them some time next month.)

Cold Prey
Cold Prey (Fritt Vilt) is a Norwegian slasher film from 2006. Set at an abandoned ski resort, it features a creepy killer, brutal kills, and a pretty awesome final girl in Jannicke (Ingrid Bolso Berdal). It's also genuinely intense and suspenseful. Cold Prey was followed by both a sequel and a prequel, both of which I've heard good things about, although I have yet to watch them
Ravenous
I raved about this period piece horror film here. It's not nearly as well known as it should be, so check it out and spread the word.

The Thing from Another World, The Thing (1982), The Thing (2011)
I don't think I really have to sell John Carpenter's The Thing to anyone reading this blog, but if you haven't seen the original black and white film, I urge you to go check it out. Also, the 2011 The Thing may have gotten mixed reviews, but I thoroughly enjoyed it. All three films are infinitely rewatchable and perfect for this time of year.





Ghost Story
It's honestly been almost 20 years since I last watched this film, so I can't really give it a proper review. I do remember loving it though, so clearly it's time for a rewatch.



Misery, The Shining
These two wintery horror examples from Stephen King are also two of the best movies based on his work, although I'll admit to not being as much in the thrall of The Shining as a lot of King fans. Still, no list of wintery horror would be complete without these films, so I would be remiss to leave either of them off.



That's all for now, but there might be a part 2 of this list in the coming months, as I'm a)sure I'm forgetting some and b)plan on watching more snowy goodness as the freezing season progresses. Hopefully this is enough to get you started though. Enjoy and stay warm!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: The Valancourt Book of Victorian Christmas Ghost Stories

Book Review: Shirley Jackson's Dark Tales

Home for the Holidays