I read Mike Thorn's Darkest Hours about a year ago and was seriously impressed by it. Peel Back and See might be even better. There are some truly great stories in this collection, and while not every story will work for every person (and you might not want to eat before reading some of these), I found myself enjoying most of them even more than I expected. My favorites include "Mini McDonagh Manor." In this story, after her mother's death, Julie builds a replica of her childhood home, before ultimately deciding to go home and visit the real thing for the first time in years. She believes something sinister lurks there and wants to find out once and for all what it is. This is the most legitimately creepy story in the whole collection and gave me actual chills. If you like this one, make sure you also don't miss out on "Dreams of Lake Drukka," which could easily be a companion piece to "Manor." Another standout is "Deprimer," which a...
What a fun ride! Kill River by Cameron Roubique is the perfect slasher, just in novel form. Seriously, someone should make a movie out of this! The book begins with Cyndi, a quiet, somewhat shy teenager, being shipped off to summer camp on a bus by her parents. She meets three other teenagers on the bus: bubbly, pretty Stacy, jock Brad, and cute joker, Zack. Upon reaching camp, Cyndi and Stacy quickly bond, and when her three new friends decide to run away from camp on a raft, Cyndi joins them. The four teenagers get lost and end up at an abandoned water park, where they begin to get picked off one by one. I really liked the characters here. Rather than typical, one dimensional slasher victims, all four teens were pretty well rounded. Even Brad, the least likable of the group, seemed human. He could seem spoiled or irresponsible, but he clearly truly cares about Zack and Stacey. Meanwhile, the friendship between the lonely Cyndi and popular Stacey was probably the heart of the book. T...
I've been covering winter horror films recently, so I thought I'd take this time on Christmas Eve's Eve to cover some Christmas horror movies that fit into that category. Gremlins Gremlins has been a favorite of mine since I was a kid. It's the perfect horror movie for the whole family to enjoy and features a great snowy atmosphere that amazes with its beauty even as the Gremlins wreak havoc. The movie also features Gizmo, who is just about the cutest thing ever. Black Christmas The perfect holiday slasher. I watch it every year. Billy is easily one of the creepiest killers ever put to film. Black Christmas (2006 remake) I was really disappointed when I first saw this remake, but over time, it's grown on me. It still doesn't hold a Christmas candle to the original, but it's fun in its own way and features great snowy atmosphere. Silent Night, Deadly Night This controversial slasher is really a lot of fun once it gets going. Whi...
Comments
Post a Comment