Mini Book Reviews: Horror Comics and Graphic Novels

 


Dracula, Motherf***ker! by Alex de Campi

Between this and Archie vs. Predator, Alex de Campi is quickly becoming one of my favorite names in comics. Dracula, Motherf**ker! is a fascinating, quick read with starkly beautiful artwork. My only complaint is that I wish it were longer. I would love to see de Campi and artist Erica Henderson revisit this world - 1970s L.A. gone gothic and haunted by vampires. Speaking of the vampires, this is one of my favorite depictions of Dracula's brides yet.

Note: Be sure to read de Campi's postscript, "On Monsters" at the back of the book. It's enlightening on her vision for the story, and I agree with her thoughts on the depiction of Dracula (he should never be depicted as beautiful) and her reasonings for her portrayal of the brides.




Night Trap by Cullen Bunn

There are very few things I love more than a good (or at least fun) slasher movie, so Cullen Bunn's Night Trap was right up my alley. A bunch of friends gather at a remote cabin for a weekend of fun and relaxation but a family of psychos quickly begins picking them off. Slasher fans will eat this one up and probably also catch some neat references to fan favorite films (also was it just me or were there a couple of hat tips to Supernatural fans too?). This one's recommended.



The Bad, Bad Place by David Hine

This was an impulse buy that I ended up incredibly pleased with. The Bad Bad Place tells the story of the Castavette family and their mysterious estate which appears on the edge of a new development, the town of Faraway Hills. Coinciding with the estate’s curious return, an odd older gentleman appears in town to take up the position of town crier. And then people start disappearing. This is an enticing mystery - a story of murder, black magic, and Lovecraftian monstrosities doled out at a steady pace. The art fits the story perfectly, alternately strangely beautiful and dark and stomach churning, depending on what the story calls for. It’s also a quick read, although I advise taking it as slowly as possible in order to savor every bit.



Hotell by John Lees

I loved this collection of interconnected horror stories taking place at Pierrot Courts, a mysterious roadside motel with a creepy clown mascot that only appears to the chosen few. The four stories included here were all intriguing and occasionally even legitimately creepy, something I don’t usually find in comics and graphic novels. I really enjoyed this book and hope maybe the creators will see fit to give us more stories set in the hotel in the future.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: The Valancourt Book of Victorian Christmas Ghost Stories

Book Review: Shirley Jackson's Dark Tales

Home for the Holidays