Book Review: All That's Fair

My first encounter with S.H. Cooper was reading her collection Corpse Garden, and while I really enjoyed that one, I think I loved All That’s Fair more. Cooper has a way with creepy imagery that is showcased in her best stories here. And while there were certain stories that stood out the most in this book, there wasn’t a single clunker in the bunch. All were worth reading.

Two of the creepiest stories, “The Limping Woman” and “The Shy Lady” revolve around urban legends and how two women escape them. “Cruel Inheritance” is initially creepy, but ultimately bittersweet. “What Became of Lavinia Cartwright” and “The O’Sullivan Song” are both also filled with unsettling imagery, and I could picture both of them translating successfully to the screen. “The Wandering Woman” gave me chills. “Self-Made” and the superb final story, “The Hardest Lesson” feature abusive men getting what they deserve.

I can not recommend this collection enough. With it, Cooper has solidified herself as an instant-buy author for me, and I look forward to reading everything else she comes out with.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: How to Recognize a Demon Has Become Your Friend

Book Review: The Valancourt Book of Victorian Christmas Ghost Stories

Book Review: Shirley Jackson's Dark Tales