Madison County

Madison County is by no means a great film. But it is a fun one. I can honestly say I was never once bored during its 81 minute run time. However, your enjoyment of the film depends a lot on your patience for unlikable characters making illogical decisions. I, personally, have a fair amount of patience for most movie making flaws, as long as I'm being entertained.

The plot involves four friends (and one's suspicious, tag-along older brother) who head to a small town in order to interview the author of a book on a local legend, a serial killer, who may or may not actually exist and who may or may not have had a little help from the rest of the locals.

The mystery isn't a strong one and the twists aren't as shocking as I think they're meant to be, but the killer, who wears a pig head mask, is pretty creepy, certainly more so than a lot of other modern horror boogeyman.

My biggest praise, however, has to go to Adrienne Harrell, who plays the elderly Erma, and manages to successfully portray the little old lady as both sweet and helpful and deranged and frightening. Erma is by far the highlight of the film, and was probably the only character I was actually rooting for. Sadly, the actress hasn't appeared in much else, although Reno 911 fans may recall her guest appearance on that show.

I also have to commend director Eric England, who was only 22 at the time he made this movie. While the film isn't a masterpiece, when I was 22 I could barely make it to work at my dead end job as a cashier on a regular basis, let alone get my shit together enough to make a film as competent and entertaining as this. Knowing England's age, I think this film is actually a lot more accomplished than it initially seemed.

Check it out, at least for Erma.


Also check out this cool poster

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: How to Recognize a Demon Has Become Your Friend

Book Review: The Valancourt Book of Victorian Christmas Ghost Stories

Book Review: Shirley Jackson's Dark Tales