Snowy Christmas Horror Movies

I've been covering winter horror films recently, so I thought I'd take this time on Christmas Eve's Eve to cover some Christmas horror movies that fit into that category.



Gremlins
Gremlins has been a favorite of mine since I was a kid. It's the perfect horror movie for the whole family to enjoy and features a great snowy atmosphere that amazes with its beauty even as the Gremlins wreak havoc. The movie also features Gizmo, who is just about the cutest thing ever.



Black Christmas
The perfect holiday slasher. I watch it every year. Billy is easily one of the creepiest killers ever put to film.



Black Christmas (2006 remake)
I was really disappointed when I first saw this remake, but over time, it's grown on me. It still doesn't hold a Christmas candle to the original, but it's fun in its own way and features great snowy atmosphere.



Silent Night, Deadly Night
This controversial slasher is really a lot of fun once it gets going. While I prefer the insanity of its first sequel (left off this list due to lack of snow), which has to be seen to be believed, this is a good, bloody treat, especially for those of you looking for something the opposite of Christmas-spirited.



Silent Night, Bloody Night
Not to be confused with Silent Night, Deadly Night, this brief film is not a slasher so much as a surreal and ghoulish Christmas mystery. People looking for gore and mayhem may not fall for its bizarre charms like I did, but it really is a must see, especially for a young Mary Woronov. The occasionally snowy (sometimes it just looks wet) atmosphere of this one is soothing, as it lulls audiences into a false sense of security before the disturbing truth is revealed.



Rare Exports
This horror fantasy is sweet and not particularly scary. Although it involves child endangerment, you'd probably be safe enjoying it with little ones already weaned on the likes of Gremlins. This is ultimately a touching story of childhood and family, albeit one mixed with evil elves.



Saint (Sint)
See my review here.





I know I've probably left a few off by accident, and I didn't include some of my Christmas favorites (To All a Goodnight, Don't Open Till Christmas, etc.) that lacked in snowy atmosphere. Still, this is a good list to get you started and into the holiday mood.


Happy Christmas everyone!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Book Review: The Valancourt Book of Victorian Christmas Ghost Stories

Book Review: Shirley Jackson's Dark Tales

Home for the Holidays